Stem cell therapy has been transformed from a research field to an accessible, affordable treatment option for patients in need. This is especially true in Portugal, where the cost of living is much more affordable than in other cities like London or New York City.
This article details why you should consider stem cell treatment in Portugal as well as information on how to find a trusted clinic and what to look out for when booking your own appointment.
These dynamic cells are capable of renewing and repairing almost every other type of cell within the human body. Due to this unique property, stem cells are widely researched for their potential in combating degenerative diseases and injuries such as arthritis, heart disease, and even cancer.
What is Stem Cell Therapy?
Stem cells are unspecialized and undifferentiated cells that have the ability to differentiate into specialized cells. This means that they can transform into specialized cells in the human body such as cardiac tissue, nerve cells, muscle cells, and even fat cells.
Stem cells are obtained from either a newborn’s cord blood or from a patient’s own fat tissue.
There are three types of stem cells that are currently being studied and applied in medical treatments:
- adult stem cells, embryonic stem cells, and induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs). Adult stem cells are harvested from a patient’s own tissues.
- Embryonic stem cells (ESCs) are harvested from fertilized eggs that are created solely for research and are destroyed after the stem cells are removed.
- iPSCs are taken from a patient’s own cells, then reprogrammed back into stem cells.
Why go to Portugal for Stem Cell Treatment?
There are many reasons why you should consider booking a stem cell treatment in Portugal. First, unlike other countries, the regulatory process of getting treatment in Portugal is straightforward and uncomplicated. In fact, the whole process can be completed in just a few weeks.
This is ideal for individuals who are in a hurry to receive treatment and are not willing to wait for months. Another reason why you should consider booking your treatment in Portugal is the cost-effectiveness of the treatment.
The cost of treatment in Portugal is much more affordable than in other European countries due to the fact that the country has a strong medical tourism industry. This means that there are many medical travel companies that specialize in arranging the entire travel and treatment process for patients.
In addition, the high-quality standard of treatment in Portugal is comparable to that of the United States. This means that you can be assured of receiving the best treatment possible.
Things to know before booking your appointment
Before you book your treatment in Portugal, there are some essential things that you should know.
First, it is important that you understand the various types of stem cell treatments available. This will help you to select the right one based on your needs.
– Embryonic Stem Cell Treatment – This treatment utilizes the patient’s own cells, which are then reprogrammed into ESCs. These ESCs are then transformed into pluripotent cells that are capable of transforming into any other type of adult cell. This is done by incubating the ESCs in an environment similar to the inside of the body.
– Adult Stem Cell Treatment – This treatment is used for patients who have certain diseases or conditions such as arthritis or heart disease. The cells for this type of treatment are extracted from the patient’s own fat tissue.
– iPSC Treatment – This treatment is similar to ESC treatment, but is less controversial since it does not require the destruction of fertilized eggs. The iPSCs are created by taking the patient’s own cells and reprogramming them. This creates an ESC-like cell capable of transforming into any other type of adult cell.
How much does Stem Cell Treatment cost in Portugal?
The cost of stem cell treatment in Portugal can greatly differ depending on the type of treatment, disease, or condition being treated, and the clinic that you choose to go to. The average cost of an ESC treatment in Portugal can range from €8,000 to €12,000.
The average cost of an iPSC treatment can be €6,000 to €9,000. And the average cost of an ADSC treatment is €1,500 to €2,500. However, all clinics are required to put a minimum price on their treatment, which is €3,000 per ESC treatment, €1,500 per iPSC treatment, and €750 per ADSC treatment. These prices are highly competitive and would certainly suit the needs of most patients.